Thessaloniki has a wide network of bus lines offering routes that virtually cover every possible destination within the city and the suburbs. In general it is considered a reliable, cost effective mean of trasportation, although during the rush hour things can get a bit rough.
The lines that connect Makedonia airport to the city center are the 01X Airport – Intercity Bus Terminal via City Centre and 01N Airport Intercity Bus Terminal Night Line.
The bus fares are much cheaper compared to the average European prices.
The majority of the main routes are equipped with smart telematics system that offer real time passenger information about the arrival of the buses and the waiting times.
Most of the buses are also equipped with air conditioning systems.
There are more than 1600 points of sale (oasth ticket kiosks, commercial kiosks or grocery stores) where you can purchase OASTH tickets while inside the vehicles automatic you’ll find ticket vending machines.
Keep in mind that you have to validate the tickets that you purchased. It is also possible that onboard ticket machines will not return any change. You have to pay the exact amount while the tickets printed will be 0.10€ more expensive.
The official android application of the OASTH bus company can be found here: OASTH android app.
Using the urban transport organization of Thessaloniki you can:
- Travel anywhere in the city of Thessaloniki and in the outskirts. 75 bus lines are available for smart, fast, cheap and safe traveling.
- Explore and marvel all the major sights of our city using the Cultural line, bus No 50. We recommend the 50 minute ride.
- Download the pdf guide of Sightseeings of Thessaloniki : Route 50.
Bus Services to Passenger Terminals from
- Makedonia Airport (SKG)
- Railway Station
- Thessaloniki’s Port
- KTEL Makedonia coach station
- KTEL Halkidiki coach station
Useful Informnation about
Bus routes and stops
- Shortest route to your destination – How to get there
- OASTH Ticket Fares
- Cultural Route Information (timetable, tickets)
- OASTH free android application on Google Play.
- Cultural Line sightseeings pdf guide.